Search McConkie Menu

Monday, May 10, 2010

Creamy Cumin Chicken Tacos


I made these taco's for our Cinco De Mayo Celebration. Ok, it wasn't a celebration at all. We just ate tacos. BUT... these were good, so celebrate that. I LOVE jicama & mango, so when I saw this recipe over @ Tasty Kitchen, I knew I should try it. My husband loved them. I thought they were good, but I felt like they were missing something... I'll have to think about that.

Creamy Cumin Chicken Tacos

2 Limes
1/4 Cup Mayonnaise
1/4 Cup Sour Cream
2 tsp. Cumin
Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
3 Cups Chicken, cooked & diced/shredded
1/2 of a Jicama
1 Mango
1/2 Cup Cilantro
1/2 tsp. Salt
Taco shells
Avocado, thinly sliced

Prepare your chicken however you like... I actually had to clear out some freezer space, so I roasted a whole chicken. It was perfect! You can cook your chicken however you like... grill, boil, bake. Whatever suits you, as long as you have enough meat to go around... and around.

Zest about 1 tsp. of the Lime. Juice them to make about 3 tablespoons worth of juice. Mix the mayo, sour cream, lime zest, cumin, cayenne, 1/4 tsp salt, and HALF of the lime juice together. This becomes your sauce. Set abut 1/4 cup of the sauce aside, and mix the remaining sauce with the shredded chicken. Set aside.

Peel and slice the jicama and mango into matchsticks. Toss with the chopped cilantro and the remaining lime juice and the 1/4th tsp. salt.

Layer the tacos with meat, jicama mixture, and sliced avocado, Top with a dollop of remaining sauce if desired.


2 comments:

  1. I never eat jicama unless it's at a restaurant, I don't really know what to do with it :). Do you think black beans and rice would be good inside the tacos?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know what to make for dinner, and I just happened to have the very basic ingredients for this, but no jicama, cilantro or mango. So I seasoned the chicken with Tony Chachere's, made the sauce with plain yogurt, lemon, sour cream and cumin, and crisped some corn tortillas by thinly greasing both sides with shortening and broiling in the oven 3 minutes each side, then bending them into taco shells. I know I didn't make this recipe, but it was a great inspiration and made a yummy dinner. I also layered some cheese into them since that's all my toddler would eat:)

    ReplyDelete