Search McConkie Menu

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Curry Chicken and Orzo Soup

We love curry at our house so we think this soup is yummy. It does have a little kick to it so if you don't like spicy, go easy on the cayenne pepper. And I always like to add a little sour cream to mine.



1 TBsp vegetable oil
1 lb. chicken breasts, diced
1 small yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 TBsp curry powder
1 TBsp grated fresh ginger
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 quart (32 oz) reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 cup apple juice
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 large granny smith apples, peeled and diced (I left unpeeled this time)
1/2 cup uncooked orzo (rice like pasta)
1/2 cup craisins

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the chicken, onion, garlic, bell pepper, curry powder, ginger, pepper, and salt. Saute until the chicken is no longer pink and the onion is tender.

Stir in the chicken broth, apple juice, and undrained tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then add apples, orzo, and craisins. Reduce heat and simmer until the orzo is al dente. Serve.

7 comments:

  1. WOW! Emily, you're my kind of woman! I love all things curry and you pretty much can't go wrong with soup anyway so this is totally happening at my house! Woohoo! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really good--the apples and craisins seem especially interesting. I know Rich would love this one for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love curry, as you well know. I think this sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds great! I will have to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got it simmering right now and it smells awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, it's amazing! Definitely one of my favorite soups ever. Thank you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray! I just happen to have all the ingredients! Okay, so the Orzo will be rice and the granny smiths will be galas and the ginger will be from a canister, BUT I still think it will turn out fabulous, and I'm so excited to make another one of your recipes!

    ReplyDelete