Search McConkie Menu

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Christmas Salad

Dressing
1/2 small red onion
1 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp dry mustard
3/4 cup oil
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1 tbsp poppy seeds

Combine all ingredients, minus poppy seeds, in a blender until smooth. Add poppy seeds right at the end. Again, make a few hours in advance if not the night before. I think this recipe makes about a pint of dressing - much more than you need for one salad.

Salad
green leaf lettuce (this is just my favorite, feel free to use whatever lettuce you like!)
green onions
bacon
pears
apples
gorganzola cheese crumbles
pomegranate seeds if in season
You choose the amounts!

Combine lettuce and green onions in advance. Add the rest of the ingredients and coat with dressing right before serving.

(a little secret: Costco has containers of pomegranate seeds during their season! I think it is a little more pricey than buying the fruit and getting the seeds out yourself but well worth it I would say!)

5 comments:

  1. This was so yummy at Christmas dinner! Thank you so much for posting this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this one! I made it for our Christmas dinner too! How fun! Our Trader Joe's has the pomegranate seeds in little containers too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea, I have made this salad SO many times this winter. It has become an all time favorite and we will be making it for YEARS to come. Thank you for sharing! I also love the pomegranate seeds you can buy at Sam's/Costco. Fabulous little secret for when I am in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've also made this a number of times~!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Made this yesterday. So yummy! Enjoyed it for lunch today too. :)

    ReplyDelete