Search McConkie Menu

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Baked Oatmeal


I think I have eaten more oatmeal since moving to the Midwest than my whole life leading up to this point. I have no idea why. In the past year I have been enjoying Steel Cut Oats, and just can't go back to regular quick oats now. Only problem... I have TONS of quick oats in my food storage. So I had to figure something out, & decided to search for a good baked oatmeal recipe. I have made a few different recipes in the past, but none have ever stood out... until now that is!!

I found a Baked Oatmeal recipe online @ Mel's Kitchen Cafe, and decided to tweak it a little bit. We LOVED it! It was so yummy! I also made an apple/pecan/brown sugar mixture to go on top of the oatmeal, and then finished it off with a dollop of whipped cream. Even if you don't like oatmeal, I promise this one will change your mind. It is pretty sweet (look @ all the sugar!), which is probably why its so good, but that didn't seem to stop me from snarfing it down. The irony of it all is that I had just gone on a 10 mile bike ride... & then came home & made this beauty. Good thing I rode those miles!


This picture was taken the day after I made the oatmeal... so no apples & pecans.
I would halve it next time for our small family, but it does keep well for a day or 2.

Baked Oatmeal

6 Cups Quick Cooking Oats
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Cup Raw Sugar {use brown if you don't have raw}
1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
1/2 Cup Apple Sauce {I used Musselman's chunky style. Our favorite!}
2 Cups Skim Milk
4 Eggs, beaten
1 TBSP Baking Powder
2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Vanilla
Cinnamon {optional}

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients, except cinnamon, in a large bowl of electric mixer. Pour into well greased 9x13 inch baking dish. If desired, sprinkle cinnamon on top. Bake for 25-27 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the "cake". Serve warm with fruit, milk, yogurt, whipped cream, nuts etc. You can really do what ever you want with it at this point. It was so yummy...



9 comments:

  1. This looks amazing. Oatmeal and brown sugar are a great combination!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this a cake or bar? It sounds delicious. Mama C

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK you called it a cake but it looks like a bar...and it's good huh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of baked oatmeal before but sounds good. How do the eggs work in this?

    I've eaten Quaker's instant oatmeal with brown sugar most mornings of my life. You've got to use milk instead of water and it can't be too mushy or too dry (or it's like cement). I'm curious about the texture of baked oatmeal. I'll have to try this soon. I bet you've got really yummy steel cut oats living in the midwest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. FYI, I made this today with regular oats & it wasn't as good. I would stick with the quick oats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Made this again today and split it into two 8x8 pans so I could take the second to a friend who just had a baby. YUM! I love this stuff.

    ReplyDelete