Search McConkie Menu

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Mandarin Almond Salad

Okay, here is the deal - Alison requested some salad recipes. So, after I post these you have to promise to still love me because I am not sure what else I am good for besides bringing salads to dinner! :)

Mandarin Almond Salad

Dressing
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp mustard (I do the ground mustard seed)
1/8 cup fresh onion (I like yellow)
1/2 tbsp poppy seeds

Put all ingredients in a blender - except for the poppy seeds - and blend until smooth. Add poppy seeds at the end for a quick blending or they will get all chopped up! I like to make the dressing at least a couple of hours if not the night before I make the salad. This recipe will make way more dressing than you need but I have already halved it from the original recipe I was given!

Sugared Almonds
In small pan melt 1-2 tbsp butter with 2/3 tbsp sugar. Put almonds in and stir until golden brown over med-hi heat. Take off heat and keep stirring until clumpy and hard.

Salad
2 bunches green leaf lettuce
2-3 tbsp green onions
1/3 cup sugared almonds
1 can mandarin oranges.
(Really I just add as much of these things as I want!)

Tear up lettuce and add green onions first. If I can I like to let the two of those sit in the fridge for a while together. Nice and cozy! Right before serving add all ingredients together and coat lightly with dressing!

4 comments:

  1. Oh yum, sugared almonds!! I know I'm going to have to make this one...soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooo yum! the sugared almonds and walnuts in the above recipe sound so delicious, I've never made the before. I'll have to try soon! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this one too! Andrea you make the best salads!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrea, we ALWAYS LOVE your salads! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete