Search McConkie Menu

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Creme Brulee French Toast & Creme Brulee Syrup

After having a discussion with a friend last night about awesome overnight french toast ideas, I realized that I have never posted the creme brulee french toast that we have been making for years. What have I been thinking?? I even referenced the recipe in another overnight breakfast post. So, I must apologize for my forgetfulness.

I had this wonderful french toast at my in-laws home, after my mother-in-law had made it for a baby shower. I later was going through a cookbook of my own and found the exact same recipe. It originally comes from this fun cookbook.

If you want to try a great breakfast dish, that requires very little effort, this one is for you. We have also served it at baby and bridal shower brunches. Its delish!

Creme Brule'e French Toast

1/2 Cup Butter
1 Cup Brown Sugar, packed
2 TBSP Corn Syrup
1 Loaf Texas Toast Bread (extra thick slices)
5 Eggs
1 1/2 Cups Half & Half Cream
1/4 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Vanilla

In a small saucepan, melt butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup over medium heat until smooth, stirring occasionally. Pour mixture onto large, greased jelly roll pan. Spread to cover surface. Place 12 pieces of toast in a single layer on top of mixture. Mix together eggs, cream, salt, and vanilla. Spoon mixture evenly over each piece of bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Bake uncovered @ 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Remove from pan & serve. If not serving right away, you will need to flip each slice of bread over (this will prevent the bread from sticking to the pan). Serve with fruit and Creme Brule'e Syrup.

Creme Brule'e Syrup

1/2 Cup Butter
1 Cup Buttermilk
1 Cup Sugar
2 TBSP Light Corn Syrup

Boil together over medium heat for 7-10 minutes, stirring constantly.

After you remove from heat, add in:
1 tsp Vanilla
1/2 tsp Baking Soda

Stir continuously until the froth decreases. Serve warm over Cre'me Brule'e French Toast, & remember to brush your teeth after you have snarfed this down... there's a lot of sugar in this one! :)


5 comments:

  1. oh man, this sounds so good. i looove french toast and i love all the different french toast recipes you've posted. i've never thought about so many varieties!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this the one you made at Marijke's shower? I still crave that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that I know your blog!! I am making this for my fam tomorrow...but with a Jelly roll pan this time!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My family now thinks I can cook thanks to you. They loved this syrup!

    ReplyDelete