Search McConkie Menu

Sunday, January 9, 2011

White Texas Sheet Cake






I am not a big fan of the traditional chocolate sheet cake, but when I tried this version I was pleasantly surprised! I think it is mainly because I love almond extract... but any way you look at it, this was tasty!! Now, if you hate almond extract, I probably wouldn't recommend this one... Its also pretty rich so a small piece goes a long way. Make sure it is completely cooled before cutting into it. 


If you double it and make it in a larger jelly roll pan, it will feed a big group of people.



White Texas Sheet Cake
{Makes about 15-20 Servings}

2 c flour

2 c sugar

1 t baking powder

1 t salt

1 c butter

1 c water

1/2 c sour cream

2 large eggs, lightly beaten

1 t almond extract

Butter Frosting (recipe below)
1 c chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 15x10-inch jelly roll pan (the smaller, half size pan) with nonstick baking spray {the kind with Flour... or flour your pan after you spray it}.

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a small saucepan, combine butter and water; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.

Add butter mixture to the flour mixture, stirring to combine. Stir in sour cream, eggs, and almond extract. Pour into prepared pan, and bake for 22 to 25 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Spread warm cake with Butter Frosting. Sprinkle with chopped pecans. 

Butter Frosting:
{Makes about 1 cup}

1/2 c butter

1/4 c whole milk

1/2 t almond extract

3 c powdered sugar

In a medium saucepan, combine butter and milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Whisk in almond extract. Gradually whisk in powdered sugar until smooth.

6 comments:

  1. I was hoping you would post this recipe when I saw it on your 365. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got this recipe from Shari Johnson recently because I also am not a big fan of chocolate texeas sheet cake. However, I LOVE this one! Mmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love almond stuff, this sounds so good. i can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shelly made this for our dessert the other night and it was tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to let you know I made this the other day and everyone loved it! Yummy:) Thanks for sharing your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We just made this tonight. Spencer doesn't like almond extract so I used 1/2 almond extract, and 1/2 vanilla. YUM!

    ReplyDelete