Search McConkie Menu

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Aztec Chicken

This is a recipe that Mom gave me when I was visiting her last April. It makes a TON, so if you decide to try it out, half it... unless you plan on feeding an army! We really like it around here. The only thing I would change next time would be to add a bit more salsa to give it a little extra kick.

Aztec Chicken

8 Large Chicken Breasts
3/4 tsp. Cumin
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
4 Cups Frozen Corn
2 Cups Salsa
2, 15 oz. cans Black Beans, rinsed & drained
2, 8 oz. Packages Cream Cheese, softened & cubed

Cheddar Cheese
Rice, cooked
Tortilla Chips

Combine cumin, garlic, and salsa in a small bowl. Add in corn and beans and stir well. Combine with Chicken in crock pot and cook on high for about 6 hours. When chicken is done, add cubed cream cheese and allow to melt. Shred chicken and return to crock pot just before serving.

Serve over cooked rice, with cheddar cheese and crumbled tortilla chips.

6 comments:

  1. I actually just made something very similar a couple nights ago. This looks good, but it seems like it makes a lot! Is the serving size for 8?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does make a ton, thats why I would half it. The recipe mom gave me didn't have a serving size... I'd say about 10 though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to try to make this this week. I had to talk Gardiner into it though. He says he's no a 'bean' fan. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I needed to take dinner to some one in my ward yesterday and needed to put something together with ingredients we already had on hand. This was the perfect thing! I had to adapt it a bit though.

    I used frozen corn thawed in the microwave instead of canned and sour cream instead of cream cheese. I made the sauce in a pot on the stove while the chicken was defrosting, but also included the sour cream at this stage. Then I reserved some for me to eat on rice without chicken and poured the rest over the chicken in a 9x13 (actually baked it on one side, then flipped the chicken over before adding the sauce). I finished cooking the chicken in the oven with the sauce, uncovered, and shredded it up at the end.

    Jennison thought this was one of the best gluten free meals he'd had and ate two giant plate fulls. Thanks for a great, quick recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use this a filling for tachos. As nachos over cornchips. Making it for our family christmas dinner for I believe the 3rd year in a row. They love it.

    ReplyDelete