Search McConkie Menu

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Heart Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies


Now don't let the title deceive you. Yes, these cookies are probably better for you than some recipes, but they are still cookies. So don't think they are sugar free and nasty. Oh no my friends, these things are delightful. These are some of the chewiest & most delicious chocolate chip cookies I have ever had. I got the recipe from my friend Meagan about a year ago and thought they were awesome. I have wanted to make them many times since, but my food processor lid decided to break, leaving me food processor-less. Well, this last week, my awesome husband fixed the problem for me, and I could make these cookies again!

Now I realize some of you will look at this recipe and think it looks weird, but trust me. THEY ARE AWESOME. I mean it... you will love them if you give em' a try. Oh, did I mention they are vegan cookies? No? Oops. Its true though. If you use vegan chocolate {ok, I didn't. I love me some guittard chocolate chips}, then these babies are a totally vegan treat!

Heart Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies

3 TBSP Canola Oil
2 Cups Walnuts
1 Cup Light Brown Sugar {i did half raw, half brown}
1/2 Cup Water
2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 1/2 Cups Oat Flour
1 tsp. Baking soda
1 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Cinnamon
2 Cups Rolled Oats
1 1/2 Cups Semi Sweet Vegan Chocolate Chips {or not vegan. if you are like me}

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or spray with non stick cooking spray. Set aside.

Blend walnuts in food processor for 30 seconds, or until a fine meal forms. Add canola oil through feeding tube and blend for about 2 minutes more, until mixture has the consistency of natural peanut butter. Make sure to scrape down the sides of the food processor so all the walnuts are nicely incorporated. Transfer to a bowl.

Whisk together the brown sugar and 1/2 cup water in small saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil. Pour sugar mixture over walnut butter, add vanilla, and stir until no lumps remain.

Whisk together the oat flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a separate bowl. Stir oat flour mixture into walnut mixture and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes. When mixture has cooled, mix in oatmeal and chocolate chips.

Shape dough into 2 inch balls and place 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets. Flatten cookie with the bottom of a drinking glass that has been dipped in water. Bake 8-11 minutes, or until cookies start to look brown and tops look dry. Cool 3 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. Makes approx. 3 dozen cookies.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I was totally the recipient of these bad boys!! And they were DIVINE. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I request these for my birthday next year too, please and thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look really good. I bet I could enjoy them just fine. :)

    ReplyDelete