Search McConkie Menu

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Sugared Almonds

These delicious almonds are perfect in a summer salad... or just eaten by the handful! This recipe varies from the normal way I candy nuts, & I LOVED the result! I got this recipe from my friend Nicole after I went to a baby shower she hosted. I thought about that salad for the next 4 days... mostly because of these nuts! She actually used a dressing recipe from our blog, so it wasn't hard to recreate the deliciousness that Nicole provided. This recipe takes a while to make, but trust me, it is SO worth it!

Sugared Almonds

2 Cups Sugar
1 Cup Water
3 1/2 Cups Almonds {whole, unsalted}

Line jelly roll pan with parchment paper or non-stick cooking spray. Combine water and sugar in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir until sugar starts to dissolve; add nuts and stir until coated. Continue to stir the nuts until the liquid runs dry and the nuts have started to form a "crust" around them. It will take a long time (30-40 minutes on my gas stove. Goes much faster on electric) to achieve the dry consistency. Preheat oven to 400 degrees while you are waiting for the nuts. When nuts are ready, pour them onto prepared jelly roll pan & bake for 10 minutes. When they have cooled, add them to salads or eat them plain... Delish!

**Also good with Pecans, but I prefer the almonds. I'm an almond gal!
***I like to throw a little cinnamon in sometimes too. Just because I can.

6 comments:

  1. SO glad you posted this. I couldn't stop eating them when you brought them to the Condie BBQ. I'm a pecan girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Were these the same ones that were on the spinach and strawberry salad? They were delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marijke, this is the same recipe I used @ the BBQ, but those were pecans. Both are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made them tonight and I couldn't be more thrilled. Except I used a candy boiler, stirred constantly and mine were done in 11 minutes? Is this normal? They seemed to turn out just great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How do I best store these? Can I freeze them?

    ReplyDelete