Search McConkie Menu

Friday, October 29, 2010

Canning Salsa

Canned salsa is never quite as good as fresh, but we use it so much here that I thought I would give it a try. It was worth it with the prices on produce when I canned it. It was a spontaneous decision to make it, so I didn't even tell Spencer about it. When Spencer came home from a long day at work and school he walked into a kitchen smelling of tomatoes and peppers. He took one look at the GINORMOUS pot of salsa, and said "Is this like one of those times when you should consult your husband ahead of time?" He did not cease to tease me relentlessly for weeks! I got this from my friend Lark, and who knows where it came from before that. Probably someone's grandma!

Ingredients:

40 tomatoes- (blanched and peeled) [Sherrie likes to do this in advance then freeze them]

10 JalapeƱos (with seeds included it makes for a medium salsa)-diced finely

8 med sized onions diced

10 green peppers diced

8 yellow peppers diced

2 red peppers diced

[I usually use a combo of red and green peppers totally omitting the yellow ones or substituting the red peppers for the yellow ones]

12 cloves of Garlic (Diced or Pressed)

Leaves from one bunch of Cilantro finely chopped or cut with scissors.

1 3/4 cup white vinegar

7 tbsp salt

1 tbsp sugar



Boil than simmer in very large pot for 4-5 hours until it is the thickness you like. Stir periodically.

Place in jars and process for 20 Min boiling water.

Makes approx 10-20 pints



It usually takes me most of a day to do a recipe. I am slow even though I use my food processor for onions and peppers.

I usually have to do the onions and pepper together in the food processor so they don't turn to liquid.

No comments:

Post a Comment