Search McConkie Menu

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Breaded Cauliflower

I shared my memory of where I was when I found about about the 9.11 attacks on another site today and thought I would share here too. I can't believe it has been 10 years already. I was in 7th grade waiting in my classroom for school to start (the bus dropped us off 45 minutes early). My next door neighbor said she had heard that a plane flew through a building in NY just before we left home. I thought it was too weird to be true. A teacher came into our classroom crying and turned on the news, then we saw the 2nd plane hit. Shortly after, another girl who had family on the east coast, and I were called down to the main office. I was so scared because we couldn't get a hold of my grandpa and he was supposed to be at the pentagon that day. Due to another emergency at another office he wasn't there and his co-workers were late and they pulled up into the parking lot as the plane came down. Six hours later, my grandpa was finally able to get home (normally 20-30 min away). My grandma worked at the World Bank and she experienced bomb threats on a regular basis. As soon as she heard the news, she left her office which was about a block away from the white house. She said as she was driving home she looked in the rear view mirror and there was a mob of cars behind her. She said she felt like Moses parting the Red Sea and leading everyone through. It was a big relief for us but a lot of loss and sadness that day.

Where were you on 9.11? What was your reaction?


∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙ ∙

This is similar in ingredients to this post but they taste quite a bit different.



1 head cauliflower, broken into florets (about 5 cups)
4 egg yolks
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 1 teaspoon salt
1/4 1 teaspoon pepper
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 cup butter


Minced fresh parsley, optional
Place cauliflower and a small amount of water in a skillet.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8 minutes or until crisp-tender.  Drain and set aside.


In a bowl, whisk egg yolks and seasonings.  Place bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese in a large resealable plastic bag.  Add a few florets at a time into the egg mixture; toss to coat.  


Using a slotted spoon, transfer cauliflower to crumb mixture; toss to coat.


In a skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat.  Cook cauliflower in batches until golden brown, about 4 minutes.  Sprinkle with parsley if desired.


*I put the cauliflower on a plate covered with a paper towel to drain some of the butter after removing it from a skillet.


4-6 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment